When your feet are bothering you, it can lead to serious consequences if not treated promptly. Podiatrists are uniquely qualified and experienced at treating foot problems. Your feet are the main support for your body when standing, running, or walking. Keeping your feet optimally healthy is vitally important. Dr. Michael Stein and Dr. Zeineldin Ahmad from Foot Doctor of the East Bay, our podiatrists in San Leandro, CA are specialist foot doctors. A second office is located in San Leandro, CA.
What are some common issues of the foot that should be treated immediately?
The foot and ankle complex is just that - quite complex. Below is a list of some common issues that a podiatrist can diagnose and treat. These are all conditions that require prompt attention to prevent them from progressing.
- Bunions: These are caused by a dislocation of the big toe joint and can cause a protrusion on the inside of your foot where the big toe joins the rest of the foot. If not promptly addressed, they will progress and surgical intervention may be needed.
- Hammertoes: Hammertoes occur when the toes have bent unnaturally, and can also lead to rearing surgery to fix them if not treated immediately.
- Ingrown toenails: Usually, this one is an easy fix! Proper attention to your feet and footwear can usually adequately treat this condition.
- Neuropathy: Neuropathy occurs when there is damage to nerves and circulatory vessels leading to the foot and can cause significant pain or numbness of the foot. Neuropathy is commonly associated with diabetes and is a condition that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. In very severe cases, it can lead to a need for amputation of the foot.
- Plantar Fasciitis: This is an inflammation of the plantar fascia that runs along the sole of your foot. The plantar fascia is a thick band of connective tissue that provides significant support to the feet and when it is damaged and not functioning properly, significant pain can develop.
- Trauma to the foot or ankle: If you sprain your ankle, drop something on your foot, or have an injury to the foot as a result of another type of accident, consulting with a podiatrist (foot doctor) in San Leandro, CA is warranted.
- Plantar warts: These are caused by viruses that infect the skin of the foot. They may go away on their own, but you should see a podiatrist to accurately diagnose this condition and determine the best path forward for the treatment of warts.
Schedule a consultation with us
If you have pain in your feet that does not resolve on its own after a few days, make an appointment with Dr. Stein or Dr. Ahmad from Foot Doctor of the East Bay by calling (510) 483-3390. Our foot doctors, both podiatrists in San Leandro, CA, are experienced and skilled at treating the conditions listed above, and more.